After the VZS victory of Andréas Steindl (SUI) and Victoria Kreuzer (SUI) yesterday on the top of Sunnegga, the village of Zermatt was animated today by the three traditional races of the Matterhorn Ultraks: the 16K, the 30K and the “Skyrunner® World Series” race 46K. This first “two-days” edition has proven a great success for the organisers and the runners, who were happy to have the opportunity to participate in two races.
“To win the Matterhorn Ultraks was my biggest goal this summer”, says Marc Lauenstein (SUI), winner of the 46K. With podium finishes in past races, he already proved that he was in good shape. But even the fastest dentist in Switzerland suffered from the way down of Gornergrat and up to Furi. He stayed calm and managed to take the lead over second place runner Christian Mathys (SUI). He was the big surprise of the race, today being only the first time he entered a 46K. Nepalese runner Tirtha Tamang (NEP) completed the podium with his third place.
American female runner and favourite of the race Megan Kimmel (USA) was in the lead for the whole race and made it without trouble to the first place. It was a good make up for her, as she had to capitulate the year before. She was followed by Michaela Mertova (CZE) and Célia Chiron (FRA).
After her third place last year, Swiss runner Séverine Pont Combe (SUI) came in second place for the 30K race just after Ruth Croft (NZL). Both were followed by Sibylle Schild (AUT) at the third place. In the men’s category, Australian Etienne Rodriguez (AUS) took the top spot on the podium. It was completed by Jamie Cascio (USA) and Christophe Gilliéron (SUI).
The fastest time from last year’s 16K has been broken today by the first two men of the race, Alex Jodidio (SUI) and Yvan Betrisey (SUI). As for the women, Katrine Villumsen (DEN) defended victoriously her title from 2015 and beat her last year’s time by about five minutes today. And yesterday’s VZS sixth place finisher Priska Pfammatter (SUI) made it to the second place today. Marie Paturel (FRA) reached third place.
Over 2’000 trail addicts of over 52 nationalities took part in this year’s Matterhorn Ultraks’ edition. Going over the starting line in downtown Zermatt and getting cheered on by spectators all along the tracks, bringing a smile and giving strength to each and every athlete! Live images of the race were projected at the church square, giving everyone the ability to see the top trail runners all along their way in front of the iconic Matterhorn. To sum it up, the 4th edition of the Matterhorn Ultraks was a great success for the organisers and the runners.
RESULTS OF THE TOP 3 ATHLETES OF THE MATTERHORN ULTRAKS TRAIL 2016:
1. JODIDIO ALEX (SUI) 1:23:12.41
2. BETRISEY YVAN (SUI) 1:27:03.90
3. DRION MAXIMILIEN (BEL) 1:27:30.72
1. VILLUMSEN KATRINE (DEN) 1:39:27.06
2. PFAMMATTER PRISKA (SUI) 1:59:00.54
3. MARIE PATUREL (FRA) 1:59:01.14
1. RODRIGUEZ ETIENNE (AUS) 3:04:38.91
2. CASCIO JAMIE (USA) 3:07:57.71
3. GILLIÉRON CHRISTOPHE (SUI) 3:10:43.56
1. CROFT RUTH (NZL) 3:22:30.84
2. PONT COMBE SÉVERINE (SUI) 3:26:49.50
3. SCHILD SIBYLLE (AUT) 3:33:04.26
1. LAUENSTEIN MARC (SUI) 4:47:01.05
2. MATHYS CHRISTIAN (SUI) 4:51:56.52
3. TAMANG TIRTHA (NEP) 4:53:03.97
1. KIMMEL MEGAN (USA) 5:23:15.15
2. MERTOVA MICHAELA (CZE) 5:46:21.55
3. CHIRON CÉLIA (FRA) 5:51:36.88
1. STEINDL ANDRÉAS (SUI) 00:26:41.16
2. STERNI RICCARDO (ITA) 00:29:54.90
3. DOHERTY DAN (GBR) 00:30:21.04
1. KREUZER VICTORIA (SUI) 00:32:31.48
2. POLLINGER LYNN (SUI) 00:36:21.03
3. LIVER NATACHA (SUI) 00:36:47.24
Detailed results for all the categories are available on: https://www.mso-chrono.ch/fr/2016/545-matterhorn-ultraks-trail-192008.