Following a recent spate of deaths, accidents and missing people, especially on the Gouter Route, the mayor has signed an "arrete municipale" today which means the following list is mandatory equipment:
- Warm, waterproof (Gore Tex) jacket
- Mountaineering trousers and base layer
- Mountaineering-specific boots and crampons
- Harness and crevasse rescue equipment
- Ice axe
- GPS or altimeter
- Hat, sunglasses, sun cream, ski mask
Last year Jean-Marc Peillex (Mayor of St Gervais and councilor for the Mont-Blanc Area) threatened to close the Gouter Route completely, after a series of fatalities and accidents and it appears that today's arrete is designed to avoid complete closure. The arrete municipal, which was posted on Facebook, states that on average 20,000 people visit Mont Blanc each summer, with between 350-400 people setting off for an ascent every day, via the various different routes.
No details have been given of how the by-law will be enforced.